So far i have got the example working for the displaying data from a
database to xml (from php script) to google maps, on the page below,
the google maps page: http://www.ykothari.co.uk/gmap-php/gmap-php.html
the php script the makes the xml:
http://www.ykothari.co.uk/gmap-php/xmlgen.php

I want to integrate user search for bus routes to the above example. I'm
guessing the [select * from table] query in the php file is getting the data
from the dbs, is there a way that user input can change this line in the php
file, or maybe some other way; because i only want the map to display the
route that the user inputs by say route number. making the entire database
to xml isnt worth it since the database has about 58,000 rows, and that
would kill my bandwidth / slow down the user experience etc.

I saw some example for search but that was using haversine formula which
totally went over the top of my head and i'm not quite sure what to search
for.

The dataset is as follows:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqEGwIC84XiqdGZXM2VMS1VPazdrVExsa0t6TjhPWlE&hl=en&authkey=CMSJup8M