Chris:

Setting optimized: false seems to have solved my problem since I was
already doing everything else you suggested. Thanks.

Now I wish I could set optimized: true but for that I need an official
way to access the internal z-indexes of the marker.

(This is part of my work on MarkerWithLabel
http://google-maps-utility-library-v3.googlecode.com/svn/tags/markerwithlabel/
, by the way.)

Simon: you may want to try setting optimized: false to see if it helps
your problem. With Safari/Mac, I also see that the marker with the
higher explicitly-set zIndex appears in the background.

Gary