Hey garethhowell,

Thank you for your solution! Today I ran into the same problem, but it
has been a while since I wrote the script, so at first I did not know
what you meant with 'I needed to set the pane to be a mapPane rather
rather than overlayImage'.

For all the other else looking for a quick fix: when you use
USGSOverlay (like Google's sample at
http://code.google.com/intl/nl/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/overlays.html#CustomOverlays),
lookup function USGSOverlay.prototype.onAdd and change the last line
from:

panes.overlayImage.appendChild(div);

panes.mapPane.appendChild(div);

Cheers,