Ok, I found the difference...
In the URL I construct for the web service, I had not added
"region=FR" - adding this returns the same result as with the api
service.

HOWEVER ...
If I then take the lat/lng and do a reverse geocode, the address
returned is not the same, it returns "14-16 Allée des Alignements,
56340 Carnac, France".
This makes validation of geocoding more difficult!