Hi
>From http://code.google.com/labs/

" At Google, we love to expirement with new ideas. In Google Code
Labs, you'll find developer products that are experimental. Some of
these will one day graduate out of labs, others may remain
experimental or even be shut down. That's what a lab is for. Likewise,
graduating from Google Code Labs is a big step that indicates our long-
term commitment to that product. "

>From this I imagine that it is good business practice to ensure you
cover yourself in the likely event of some of the features being
dropped  ie have the icons on your own server.

To emphasize the point further down the page you will see that one of
the graduates Web Search API is Deprecated

Regards Davie