> So, Rossko, if I create a map without a custom style, but I add the 8.000
> markers, each one with his own icon (png's hosted in a server), that's not
> using the API? Lol, I feel shy.

It depends whether *you* choose to use the API or not.   You mentioned
'My Places', which is essentially a Google-hosted data store.  You can
share your 'My Places' content with other people using Google Maps at
maps.google.com, this does not use the API.

I don't know but doubt that 'My Places' will support 8,000 individual
markers.

You have no control over the style or 'added value' (advertising)
content of Google Maps, but you can easily embed it in an iframe in a
webpage without programming.

I think 'Fusion Tables' may be an alternative for that quantity of
markers, which you can use with the API for display.  The API allows
the flexibility of e.g. styling because you program it yourself, but
the penalty is restricted hits or bear the cost.

There might be performance issues if you are thinking of displaying
all at once - the browser will have to fetchg 8,000 little images.
Quite apart from the viewer making little sense of a map looking like
that.