Figured i would let you know what worked just now for me.

i had my referrer set up for a client as:
*.clientDomain.com/*

and i was getting the errors, now that i just reset it to:
clientDomain.com/*  - without the beginning *.

i guess googles rule parser is having an issue with the documented *. for
the subdomain wildcard
it just loaded fine, hope this helps.