My coder and I have spent the last two days reading all the Terms and
documentation on how to use GeoCoding API v3 to determine if we are using
it properly and we just can't tell if we are or not.  Here is what we are
attempting to do and the questions we would like answered.

*Background*
We are attempting to create a free WordPress (WP) Plugin that site owners
can add to their WP install to allow visitors to find the US congressmen
who represent them.  You can see our work in progress here:
http://constructivegrowth.net/wordpress-plugins/congresslookup/congresslookup-demo/

We are using Google GeoCoding to find the long/lat of the input address.
Then we use the returned long/lat with the API from Sunlight Labs to find
the legislators for that area:
http://services.sunlightlabs.com/docs/congressapi/legislators.allForLatLong/

*Questions*
In the document
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/  it says:

> Note: the Geocoding API may only be used in conjunction with a Google map;
> geocoding results without displaying them on a map is prohibited. For
> complete details on allowed usage, consult the Maps API Terms of Service
> License Restrictions.

*Q1:*  But we are not displaying the results, we are using them in our
calculations, so this seems to say we don't need to add a map to our
plugin.   Am I understanding this correctly?

And the following statement in their Terms seems to say the same thing:

a) No "Wrapping." You must not create or offer a "wrapper" for the Service,
> unless you obtain Google's written consent to do so. For example, you are
> not permitted to: (i) use or provide any part of the Service or Content
> (such as map imagery, geocoding, directions, places, or terrain data) in an
> API that you offer to others; or (ii) create a Maps API Implementation that
> reimplements or duplicates Google Maps/Google Earth.* For clarity, you
> are not "re-implementing or duplicating" Google Maps/Google Earth if your
> Maps API Implementation provides substantial additional features or content
> beyond Google Maps/Google Earth, and those additional features or content
> constitute the primary defining characteristic of your Maps API
> Implementation.*

*Q2: * Since our use has substantial additional features whose features
constitute the primary characteristic of our application, then we do not
need to display a map AND we are using the GeoCoding properly?  Is this
correct?

*Q3:*  Do we have to use "powered by Google" somewhere visible on the
frontend of the plugin?  We are not using a search box or displaying the
long/lat results as we are only using them as part of the calculation.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms:

> b) You agree to include and display the "powered by Google" attribution
> (and/or any other attribution(s) required by Google as described in the
> Maps APIs Documentation) conspicuously on the page, in close proximity and
> adjacent to the Service search box and Google search results. If you use
> the standard Google search control, or the standard Google search control
> form, this attribution will be included automatically, and you agree not to
> modify or obscure this automatically-generated attribution.

Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Trishah