One guess is that there is some transparency used in one of the two cases
but not the other.

Do you have a test page that shows this effect in action? I'd be curious to
take a look at it. Even a screenshot would be somewhat helpful, to see the
actual colors in question.

Which one has the actual correct color of your image: the marker on the map
or in the web page content?

Here's a good tool to look at stuff on the screen:

http://gipsysoft.com/zoomplus/

It lets you zoom in to see individual pixels, and if you roll the mouse
around it will show you the color value under the mouse pointer, in either
hex or RGB format. (Right click the titlebar and select the format from the
Options dialog.)

-Mike