I am not sure it will stop working... The way I read the posts is that
retrieving of photos and albums will remain to function as it does now, but
the API will no longer allow us to create or alter any content. But since
all my Picasa photos are in Google photos as well and vice versa, I suppose
if I use Google Photos to upload a photo, I al still able to retrieve it
with the Picasaweb API.
I'd just like to get an official statement that this is true. I use this
for websites as well, and if this becomes a read-only API it is fine with
me. I just want to know how I am supposed to get content into it then.

I might have a look at S3 as well, thanks for the suggestion.