Follow-up: I tried to empty my trash and there does not seem to be an
empty trash option. Only once again select a wave in the trash and a
trash option appears which again only closes the wave. I would think
from the nav bar when selecting the drop down arrow there should be a
clear trash option etc. When I open the wave in the trash, same as
before the delete 'link' does not appear to do anything.

It would be nice at least to maintain some consistency with Gmail and
have it work like that. Check boxes to select wave/waves to delete
(move, archive, label etc etc) and in the trash have a link to empty
trash (actually delete all).

Anyone else feel the same?