The AIR technology can be used with JavaScript or ActionScript3. It is
commonly used with the latter because of it's association with Flex
development, however. The most popular app written using AIR is TweetDeck.
AIR lets you create desktop-like apps which can do offline storage,
notification, etc. One could also use the Gears plugin or HTML5 to
accomplish desktop-like functionality within a webapp.

- pamela