Odd, the behavior must have changed, when I was working with it a week
ago, It wasn't creating new wavelets, but I was actually using
RootMessageBundle.createWavelet(participants), so maybe they're not
the same.  It definitely points to an issue with the documentation, it
should be clearly spelled out which one is intended to do which, since
right now they look like wrappers and convenience functions.

Regardless, I agree that there should be some way to filter and
arrange waves in folders, but I don't think that Robots or Gadgets are
the right way to do that.  There needs to be some sort of filtering
mechanism a-la GMail, or possibly some "client API" that allows you to
add extensions inside your client that can do things on your behalf.
The problem is that Robots and Gadgets both are bound to waves, not to
a user, and thus they affect everyone reading that wave, not just the
user who's interested in them.  As you pointed out in another thread,
robots can currently do some nasty stuff to waves, I would hate to
give them that kind of power over my account.

Also, consider that in the greater "ecosystem" of the wave
architecture, there may be other federation servers that support
robots and gadgets, but might not support the same client API, or
might not support clients at all.