On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM, a.boehlke <a.boeh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> No way to run my own client/server architecture, because there is no
> server available. The Fedone client is a quick hack using Google's
> protobuf. I guess the Fedone client is supposed to be used for testing
> bots. I can't see an open system in Google Wave.

You could write another client to FedOne, but I think FedOne has
bigger limitations than what you are describing here which make it
unsuitable as a real production server. :-)

> All data remains or at least goes through Google's servers, there is
> no way to OWN YOUR WAVES, right?

If you never add anyone on Google's servers to your wave, the wave's
data will never get to their server (e.g. if you are running a private
one and block federation.)

> In related discussions, I read that Google MIGHT define a client/
> server protocol. If that point is not clear, why do so many people
> consider Google Wave to be "the next big thing..."? Why not wait a
> year or two until Google provides some specifications?

I agree, it's a shame there is no client-server protocol.  This is
surely the sole reason why I haven't seen a single desktop Wave client
released -- I am of course excluding single-site browsers, which are
not desktop apps but webapps with a shim attached.

Once this protocol appears, the competition can start.  And yes, this
is exactly what I am doing before writing any bots, waiting for this
specification.  I hope the Wave team will see that XMPP is the
appropriate protocol for it (and that the server to server protocol is
already close to being usable for client to server!)

TX