Oh, now I discovered this:

class WaveletParticipantsChanged(Event):
  """Event triggered when the participants on a wave change.

I assume that it can be used for catching all cases when participants
are removed from waves. That would be good enough. At least until more
fine-grained control has been implemented which I saw is planned for
the wave roadmap.