See the code below (WaveIdentity  is just a pojo which contains 2 strings)

private WaveIdentity getWaveId(List<JsonRpcResponse> response)
{
for (JsonRpcResponse jsonRpcResponse : response)
{
Map<ParamsProperty, Object> data = jsonRpcResponse.getData();
Object waveIdObj = data.get(ParamsProperty.WAVE_ID);
            Object waveletIdObj = data.get(ParamsProperty.WAVELET_ID);
if(waveIdObj != null && waveletIdObj != null)
{
String waveId =  (String)waveIdObj;
WaveIdentity waveletId = new WaveIdentity();
                // remove the prefix 'googlewave.com!'
waveletId.setWaveId(waveId.substring(WAVE_ID_PREFIX, waveId.length()));
waveletId.setWaveletId((String)waveletIdObj);
return waveletId;
}
}
return null;