Can someone show me the benefits of implementing detached instances
for GWT? AFAIK, the advantage is detecting that an entity bean is
dirty/not dirty, thus preventing some unecessary db queries. If
someone could post some code showing some scenarios, that would be
great. Like Rob, I can handle inserts vs. updates fairly easy (my
persistence manager can tell based on the @Id property if its an
insert or update), and with a little bit of conscious effort I can
avoid unecessary db calls.

Besides, adding extra fields to entities in order to provide for
client-side detached bookeeping would increase the size of my payload
in a non-transparent way (it would depend heavily on the underlying
persistence impl). Maybe I'm missing something here, so please
enlighten me :)

Best Regards,
Miguel