In 1.5, these constants are final, which means if you build against
1.5, the constants are inlined.

But in r3547, the way the constants were initialized changed, and the
final qualifier was removed.  So actually, 1.6 and up has a "fix" of
sorts.  I think the fix was inadvertent, however - it isn't documented
why these variables aren't final, and you can re-write the static
initalizer to make them final again.  Still want me to go through with
the change?

For my linker problem, I am planning to try reflection to grab the
version string (or call the updated getter().)

--
Eric Z. Ayers - GWT Team - Atlanta, GA USA
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/