I think this is an important insight for any attempt to build a faster,
lighter-weight collections library. The JRE collections design has been a
problem for a lot of reasons, this certainly among them. It's probably
unrealistic for us to simply break the behavior of any class implementing
Map (for example), but we definitely *can* design a map interface that
doesn't have these ugly warts in it.