Comment by hbrucejohnson:

@brett: What Ray said. Also, we don't want to create the web equivalent of
DLL Hell, which is a very easy situation to get into. Finally, and most
importantly, runtime modularity simply has a really high performance cost
because HTTP round-trips over the internet are inevitably slow and so we
strive to encourage architectures that avoid them. All that said, I think
there are a few things we'll do before long (e.g. making it easy to expose
JS-callable APIs from GWT modules, like Ray's gwt-exporter) could go a long
way toward providing some amount of dynamic pluggability without sacrficing
too much in the way of performance.

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/CodeSplitting