This is soooo embarrassing...

Basically I compiled GWT and then pointed my GWT library in Eclipse to
`build/lib` which doesn't include the native library libgwt-ll.jnilib.
I discovered this via John's suggestion of printing the exception
thrown in LowLevelSaf.java:

Your GWT installation may be corrupt
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.LowLevel.init(LowLevel.java:106)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.mac.LowLevelSaf.init(LowLevelSaf.java:135)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.BootStrapPlatform.initHostedMode(BootStrapPlatform.java:77)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedModeBase.<init>(HostedModeBase.java:368)
        at
com.google.gwt.dev.SwtHostedModeBase.<init>(SwtHostedModeBase.java:161)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.<init>(HostedMode.java:282)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.main(HostedMode.java:241)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Unable to load required native library
'gwt-ll'.  Detailed error:
Can't load library: /Users/eighty/Java/GWT/trunk/build/lib/libgwt-ll.jnilib)

The solution, of course, is pointing the GWT library in Eclipse to
`build/staging/gwt-mac-0.0.0` instead.

I guess this might be a +1 for the comment on line 137 of LowLevelSaf.java?
// Try to provide some additional context

:}

Thanks!