On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Sven Brunken <s...@extjs.com> wrote:

> Dropping transparency support in IE6 is a bad idea. Too many business
> people just still use IE6. Also saying that developers that need
> transparent images in IE6 should not use ImageBundle is that good.
> When writing my app I don’t want to care where it is running after I
> finished it. It should just run and fit well in that browser.

Would converting transparency to single-bit alpha for IE6 work for you?  Ie,
a pixel is either transparent or not, no gradation (and therefore no
anti-aliasing).

> Adding good support for transparency in IE6 is not that big and should
> really be considered.

When you say "good support", what exactly do you mean?  I think it is not
practical to support image bundles with transparency in the same manner as
all the other browsers on IE6.  Various approaches that I know of:

   1. *bundling everything into one PNG keeping alpha*
   doesn't work in the general case due to memory requirements of the alpha
   filter, runtime cost of not using filter on IE7
   2. *bundling everything into one GIF*
   doesn't work in the general case because you only have an 8-bit palette
   to share between all the images
   3. *detect images with transparency and "bundle" them separately*
   works, but defeats the point of image bundles (though the user code is
   unchanged and works properly on other platforms), runtime cost for IE6/7
   permutation
   4. *encode all transparency as single-bit alpha on IE6
   *lose antialiasing, keep extra image bundles just for IE, runtime cost
   for IE6/IE7 permutation

We are currently at #1, without runtime detection of IE7.  Fixing that is
relatively easy.  #2 seems a non-starter, though it could be useful for
specific cases where palettes are small -- still since it isn't a general
solution it doesn't seem worthwhile.  #3 seems straightforward and will
continue to work but loses the benefit of image bundles on IE6.  #4,
assuming I am remembering correctly that IE6 does support single-bit alpha
in PNGs, seems the best compromise but the most work.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google