On 6-Aug-09, at 9:57 AM, John Tamplin wrote:

> If the transparency is just binary, then IE6 already supports PNG
> transparency, right?  Aside from the hassle of detecting if a one-
> bit alpha channel will do, I think the J2D libraries we currently
> use won't generate one-bit alpha channels (I could be remembering
> incorrectly however), so we would have to find something else.

John,

That's correct: IE6 supports PNG with 1-bit alpha transparency.  More
specifically, IE6 supports PNG files with a palette and a 100%
transparent color at index 0.  Java doesn't generate PNG files with
this property.  We have a specific build step in our environment that
post-processes all the PNG files to force this.  Conditional comments
serve IE6 the same CSS file, but from a subdirectory that contains the
IE6-processed images instead.

We end up with a lot of dithering on some of our output images, but it
still works on IE6.

Matt.