Let me play devil's advocate, at least against the idea of returning the
string directly. I fear that making this value easily accessible will
encourage people to write conditional tests all over the place, which is
brittle (i.e. because we're very subtly locked into particular user.agent
values) and less optimal (because it isn't clear that the resulting patterns
will optimize well). I guarantee you people will create maps of (user agent
string key) => (functor), which will thoroughly default compiler
optimizations.
Can you talk a bit more about the motivation, so we could consider
alternatives?