Scalac has an option to produce desugared java like output,
(I say "java like", because it is "almost" compilable Java, but quite).
It's a horror scene from a readability standpoint, you get to see
all the tricks Scalac uses  to support closures, implicit conversions,
comprehensions
and what not on the java VM. Looking at stack traces produced by Scala
programs
gives you another hint or two. My take is that it is beyond suboptimal,
in the sense that the complexity of making it work might be not much
less than doing the ScalaAst -> GwtAst translation, but I could be wrong.

  In terms of interest in a Scala GWT, it's a chicken and egg thing,
my opinion is that once people get to see the expressivity of Scala applied
to GWT, the interest should grow.
One particular pattern that would illustrate this would be a builder
similar to : http://groovy.codehaus.org/Swing+Builder.
I like what I see in this example, with GWT-Scala you would get
the same level of expressivity, with the added benefit of strong typing
(for me that is a big one) and a superior UI framework (...yes I am a fan of
GWT...).

 Scalac exposes it's API via plugin, it could save the most boring
work for a ScalaAst -> GwtAst translator :

http://www.nabble.com/Creating-AST-trees-in-compiler-plugins-td22995976.html

 I'm no compiler Guru, nor a GWT one, but it would seem that if the
Gwt AST was enriched to support at least closures,
(might be usefull one day : http://www.javac.info/ ...one week after
never...
but that is another topik...;))
possibly some other constructs that translate easily from Scala to JS
(if there are other) the translator would be easier to write.
... at least in theory !

  Max