Comment by myonceinalifetime:

I got debugging to work!

I created a new GWT web app with the Eclipse google plugin using GWT 2.0MS1
as the SDK. This is what most likely solved my problem. Simply changing a
project from GWT 1.7.1 to 2.0 must not be making all the necessary changes
to the auto generated files to be properly compatible. Obviously this sort
of thing will be ironed out for release.

Then I needed to first launch (not a debug launch) the newly created GWT
web app (with the default app still intact). I tried this with a browser
that did not have the plugin installed (FF3.5) and when navigating to the
URL it auto directed me to the plugin install web page and after installing
the plugin the web app was rendered correctly. Note that at this point I
have not compiled the app so the plugin is indeed doing its job! The java
code is what is interacting synchronously with the browser instead of the
compiled JS!

Note that I had first attempted to launch the app in debug mode which gave
me 3 errors related to the Appengine (com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty...
yet eclipse could not resolve com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty) but those
errors went away as soon as I did a non debug launch. In other words, the
app was able to do a debug launch only after doing a regular launch.

With the debug launch successful I was able to hit a breakpoint in the
onModuleLoad method of this default web app! I then copied all the required
files from my previous project into this new one. Once again I was able to
hit a breakpoint on the onModuleLoad method!

I am very excited to have this working!

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/UsingOOPHM