The 40+ languages situation really is unpleasant, and has lead us to devote
a lot of time to squeezing every last ounce of performance out of the
compiler. We've pitted our desire to let the compiler spend time optimizing
code against the need to get things built in a reasonable amount of time,
and we're in a continual struggle on the "reasonable amount of time" side.
How have we convinced ourselves that a tight binary requires a permutation
per language? Wouldn't a permutation per direction (rtl v.ltr) plus load
time stitching of locale resources work just as well in the browser? It's
not like loading the resources would have to happen via a separate browser
request, they could be blended with the rest of the code by the server at
request time.

I think I just suggested that the cache*html files become a template, with
tokens swizzled for localized strings and data urls post compile, perhaps on
demand. That sounds different than a linker to me--is it?

rjrjr