I ran tests on iPhone and Android 2.0 SDK with Showcase and I didn't see any
significant different in startup times over wifi (3g/3dge may be a different
story), so the latency improvement really only shows up in degenerate test
cases where all functions are polymorphic, small and/or empty, so that
parsing function decl headers becomes dominant. However, a 2-6% size
reduction is nothing to sniff at, so I'd still say it's worth it.

Onto the String eval idea. :)

-Ray