Perhaps i would extrapolate on my proposal. The compiler could have an extra
feature that went thru and found all log statements and added a String with
the classname + method name on your behalf so...

Class X
void method(){
   log( "Hello"); //
}

the log above would get modified to

log( "ClassX.method" + "Hello");

This would not require runtime support and can be easily achieved by finding
all log invocations and then inserting a binary op that adds the sythetic
classname/method name append to the original String etc...

Just an idea.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM, stuckagain <david.no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joel,
>
> I'll take a look at it.
>
> The overhead is acceptable since I make sure that we only pay the
> price if tracing is actually enabled.
>
> I'm hoping that the log API in incubator or the one from Fred will end
> up in the main GWT someday ? In that case it would be a very useful if
> it could auto-deduce the source of the log/trace event.
>
> David
>
> On Nov 6, 3:27 pm, Joel Webber <j...@google.com> wrote:
> > It wouldn't be perfect, but you might be able to get some utility from
> the
> > code in StackTraceCreator (in the Core module) in the 2.0 release branch.
> It
> > can't get stack traces on all browsers by default (IE requires an extra
> flag
> > that generates a fair amount of overhead -- don't use lightly), but could
> > help somewhat.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Miroslav Pokorny <
> miroslav.poko...@gmail.com
> >

> > > wrote:
> > > Why not just include the class.method name at the start of each and
> every
> > > message String sent to your logging method...Its a pain but it works.

> > > --
> > > mP- Hide quoted text -

mP