Les,

Your methodology ends up using the same basic idea as what I'm
currently using: annotations. The problem is that I end up having a
class on the client for every procedure on the server. Maybe I could
consolidate them into one big class with a bunch of tiny inner
classes.

In any case, it seems to me that a class literal is an identifier,
just the same as a String or Enum would be. I take your point about
security, but no matter what I send to the server, this is more a
point of making an easy interface to work with. I, personally, would
rather use a class literal as an identifier than an arbitrary
identifier that identifies the identifier I really mean. I can always
use the standard security mechanisms to ensure that the procedure and
request are trusted.