I don't have a strong opinion about it. They can be non-final, with simply
no particular effort to truly make them extensible.

> I think it might be possible to move the template JS files to
> GWT-translated code with extension points managed through rebinding and
> overriding. Until then, making changes that involve JS modifications
> effectively require you to cut and paste the whole file.

There is now some templating, by the way. You asked about the
__COMPUTE_SCRIPT_BASE__ reference. SelectionScriptLinker -- the base class
for all the linkers in the subject line -- substitutes that string for the
contents of computeScriptBase.js, a file included within gwt-user.jar. Thus,
linkers that want the standard implementation of computeScriptBase() can
simply include that string rather than copying the whole chunk of JS.

Such templating is pretty limited even in principle, however, and in
practice it's so far only done for that file and for one other one.

Incidentally, you mention moving code into Java. That strategy actually came
to pass for runAsync code fetching. Originally, linkers would emit a
function that the code loader calls to download code. Now, there is a
deferred binding, and the choice of linker causes the deferred binding
choice to differ. Thus, code loaders are now simply Java classes that
implement a simple Java interface. It's much easier to maintain.

-Lex