The point of that method being protected is that under normal circumstances
you don't want to be able to add handlers to a widget that's not capable of
firing them in the first place. So a widget subclass creates
addFooHandler(), then uses this method internally.

Are you saying you want to add a custom event handler to a widget, then
force that widget to fire the event from external code? Sounds like it wants
to be a subclass.