sounds reasonable, thanks.

But it seems like the Widget is indeed capable of firing "anonymous"
events, because of the public fireEvent() method defined in the
HasHandlers interface - so its a little confusing if I can fire any
event from external code on a Widget but can only add handlers for
customized events in its subclasses, I think the contract between
fireEvent() and addEventHandler() would match if both were protected
or public.

In my usecase I would be able fire a WidgetScannedEvent() from
external code (WidgetScanner) ( due to the public fireEvent() on the
Widget ) regardless if its a Button, a Label or a TextBox, but
unfortunately I cannot handle that event at a Widget level.