Hey,

I'm debugging a GWT app while using the trunk Eclipse gwt-dev/gwt-user
projects (so I can make changes to GWT and then start my app without
rebuilding the gwt-user/gwt-dev jar files with ant).

It turns out that, with this setup, I can't take advantage of the
new gwtar functionality because of serialVersionUID mismatches.

User.gwtar is built with ant+javac using javac's .class files, but when
I run the app in Eclipse, using the Eclipse gwt-dev project's .class
files, deserialization of the gwtar fails because Eclipse and javac
generate different serialVersionUIDs, even if the source file is
exactly the same:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_Why_does_the_Eclipse_compiler_create_a_different_serialVersionUID_from_javac%3F

So I don't get the fancy new gwtar startup times. Which I miss.

Granted, most of the time .gwtar files will be generated in the same
build cycle as their .class files. And, granted, there are a whole
bunch of classes that are being serialized.

Hm...although, let's say I build my-library.gwtar with GWT x.y, so
JDeclaredType/whatever has serialVersionUID=z. If a new release of GWT
comes out, GWT x.y+1, the serialVersionUID might change unnecessarily
(per the FAQ, due to a javac implementation change) and be z', causing
my-library.gwtar to be unusable to projects using GWT x.y+1.

Granted, recompiling my-library.gwtar would fix it. And, at times, would
actually be necessary if the serialVersionUID changed not arbitrarily
but due to a format change. So perhaps this isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask, are there any plans to add serialVersionUIDs?

- Stephen