You don't really need the gwtar support with PersistentUnitCaching enabled,
which it should be by default.  The performance of the persistent unit cache
is usually as good or better, and the mechanism in play is pretty much the
same, only you don' t have to configure anything special to use the
persistent unit cache.   The purpose of the pre-compiled archives (.gwtar
files) is to distribute them with a versioned GWT distribution for users
that aren't building from source.

If you are routinely building and updating the GWT distribution, you need to
make sure to re-compile the modules every time you update the GWT
distribution.  There are so many things that could change, we don't plan to
try to offer backward compatibility guarantees with these files.