> how about assigning unique IDs to elements and storing that ID in the
> expandos?

That's interesting. Along the same lines, what if we use the expando
primitive trick, e.g. elem.__isChild = true, elem.__isParent = true, and
in the handlers, based on which one is true, I'm pretty sure we can jump
up/over/etc. to the right style ruler element.

> I.e. instead of "var layer = elem.__layer;"

I think looking up by ids or the primitive-hint-for-local-DOM-walk
would only work for the style ruler, as the layer is not a DOM element.

- Stephen