There's a known issue, in at least Sun's JDK and OpenJDK, where ClassLoader
lookups are O(N) of the entries on the classpath. GWT can perform a very
large number of lookups, so it's especially affected. One way to workaround
this is to collapse multiple classpath entries into a single jar or
directory. You can see very significant improvements in both compilation
speed and in dev mode.