> I agree, but asking anyone to have to make changes in working code

Two things, one is that I don't think any code that relies on this
behavior could really be called "working". It's dev mode mistakingly
acting differently than web mode.

> as a consequence of upgrading increases the cost, even if they are
> good changes.

The other is that (disclaimer, this isn't really a discussion for the
bug tracker, and is just my personal opinion) I think this extreme
dedication to backwards compatibility at some point hurts more than it
helps.

Yes, it means users have 0-change upgrades, which is great if you do
an upgrade every month (or on every commit, e.g. internally to Google).

But after years of 0-change upgrades, I think the burden of backwards
compatibility starts to wear on a codebase. Of course every release
can't be a fresh start, but I think there needs to be a compromise
that's less-than-every-release but more-than-never.

Furthering my musing that is kind of silly to do in an issue, I think
Google's internal "all upstream/downstream projects always build from
trunk" encourages codebases to grow stale as they can never break any
project ever.

Let's have some forks, branches, or something, that at least
occasionally lifts this burden of backwards compatibility for those of
us who are just fine with a yearly-ish/non-bugfix release that has
breaking changes in the name of a better, cleaner codebase.