According to
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7919 it
worked the way you describe in GWT 2.4 so let's go ahead and fix this.
Apparently the regression was introduced in
https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/detail?r=11174

Daniel: how's 2.5.1 going? is it too late to put this patch in? it's a
regression so I'd like to see it fixed as early as possible.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1885803/diff/3001/user/src/com/google/gwt/user/datepicker/client/CellGridImpl.java
File user/src/com/google/gwt/user/datepicker/client/CellGridImpl.java
(right):

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1885803/diff/3001/user/src/com/google/gwt/user/datepicker/client/CellGridImpl.java#newcode271
user/src/com/google/gwt/user/datepicker/client/CellGridImpl.java:271: if
(!cell.isEnabled()) {
Apparently (form the following lines), this method can be called with
'null'.

Replacing the cell.isEnabled() check with isActive(cell) (which does the
null-check) won't help here as we would return when cell==null,
introducing a change in behavior.

It seems to me like all the calls to setSelected in GWT's codebase (I
suspect Google extend/uses this class internally in their own projects)
but one are guarded by an 'if (isActive(cell))' check, so let's add that
check around the call that's missing it and not change setSelected
behavior's.

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1885803/