I ported the CR to gerrit a couple of months back
https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/#/c/3186/

Last update I got was that it's pending further review by Thomas Broyer
who's currently tied up with modularization and mavenization. I'm seeing
other RF changes going on though so hopefully it won't require too much
reworking of my original commit.

<rant>
I totally understand there are limited resources for reviewing this stuff
but it would be quite frustrating if many changes were necessary to my
patch due to underlying changes. I submitted the patch over a year ago and
it's the 6th highest starred issue on the issue tracker from what I can
tell.
</rant>