In practice on open source projects, things happen because some person or
company volunteers to implement them and sees the project through to the
end. So I don't really see steering committee schedule-making as a process
that's going to work. The Google GWT team is going to set its own quarterly
goals and everyone else is going to make their own decisions about what to
work on too.

And even if it could work, it's not a good idea. As a more recent example,
I don't think we should still do Mavenization just because that's what we
originally decided and there were slides at Google I/O to that effect.
That's not a winning argument. We should fix the build process in the way
that makes the most sense now.

We're not doing GWT users any favors by making flat-out promises we won't
necessarily keep. It's fair to say that there some things we have to do and
supporting major browsers is certainly one of them. But if it's at all
doubtful we should leave things open and it's a good idea to hedge. A good
phrase to use is "we don't have a crystal ball, but [...]".

- Brian