If you know enough to start writing generators, it almost certainly is not
a concern - you are probably also careful with which GWT version you are
using as well as which gwt-m-p version. A problem can occur if more than
one version of gwt-dev is present on the classpath, such as a mistakenly
declared copy in your dependencies and the copy that gwt-m-p automatically
pulls in. Provided both versions are the same or care is taken to ensure
that gwt-m-p uses the same dependency, there is no issue.

See
http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin/user-guide/using-different-gwt-sdk-version.html

for how to configure your project to allow for different GWT SDK version
from the maven plugin. I typically use two different properties, one for
gwt.version, and a second for gwt.plugin.version with this strategy to
allow them fall out of sync in a safe way.