> and only permutations.js assigns it to another value (but does so
> conditionally, so it never *assigns* undefined to
> __softPermutationId, it just leaves it not defined).

But line 61:

https://gwt.googlesource.com/gwt/+/master/dev/core/src/com/google/gwt/core/ext/linker/impl/permutations.js

Always assigns module.__softPermutationId to the value of the
softPermutationId local variable, declared on line 23. And it will be
undefined if idx == -1. Right?

That is what's happening when I debug through our app in FF.

> any chance that is what is biting you instead?

We have split points disabled.

- Stephen