I agree 100%, the friction for contributing this project is huge. Not only
the setup of the project, but the review process, tools, build, etc.

We are trying to improve the process, right now contribution to the
documentation has been enormously simplified (please don't hesitate improve
to the contributors page if you found something wrong or unclear) but
anyway we must continue working to facilitate code contributions, we love
hearing suggestions and ideas from you.