Keep in mind at Google, we write lots of large Web projects, and even the
ones that are pure JS (G+, Gmail, Docs, Maps, etc) use Closure Compiler and
lots of typing. We find it invaluable.

But the world is going mobile, and going forward, you need to support
Android, iOS, and Web, and you need to be flexible and not box yourself in.
You have a few choices to do this:

1) Try to deploy mobile Web everywhere.
2) Go with something like React-native
3) Rewrite all 3 clients 3 times in 3 languages
4) Try to share code as much as possible between platforms.

We have decided to go with option #4 for some projects. For example, the
next-generation Gmail (Inbox), Google Spreadsheets, and others. We share
80% of our code with all platforms.

J2Cl will join J2ObjC is providing an aligned solution for Hybrid apps.
This may not fit everyone's needs, in which case, there's still GWT.

IMHO, with J2Cl, Java8, Elemental2, and JsInterop, you'll have a solution
which lets you stay in Java 95% of the time, compile orders of magnitude
faster than GWT, interoperate with arbitrary libraries with much less
wrapper JSO boilerplate, and provide excellent integration with any Java
IDE as far as coding is concerned. The round-tripping should be nearly as
fast as Typescript.

But if you're conformable with ES6 or TS, I'd say go for it. Always use
whatever you're most productive in or what suits your needs.

-Ray