A few issues have come up (both in my own projects and in the issue
tracker) where it seemed that continuing to maintain and update the GWT
Generator and Linker types may be necessary. At least one was fairly
low-hanging fruit (up for review
at https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/#/c/14750/), but Daniel raised an
important question that should be discussed: What is happening with GWT 2.8
Generators and Linkers.

In general the philosophy seems to be a mix of "if unmaintained, we'll
phase it out", and "If you keep it up to date, we won't go out of our way
to break it". Specifically in this case however, we'd like to begin the
process of phasing out Generators (in favor of APT for your code generation
needs) and Linkers (in favor of J2CL and the Closure Compiler ability to
emit JS code and artifacts).

---

My *personal* position is that GWT 2.8 is set for long-term maintenance -
we expect point releases to keep it functional for teams not ready to make
a big shift right away, for a variety of reasons (while I'll leave out to
keep this short). GWT 2.8 is meant to be a bridge release for apps that
wish to have modern Java support and JsInterop types at their disposal, and
as they ready themselves for GWT3/J2CL, they can continue to function and
stay up to date. The future will only be available beyond 2.8 and
Generators, but in the meantime, they shouldn't be second class.

The specific requests here are for static and default methods in AutoBeans
or RequestFactory Proxies/Contexts. My goal (as stated in the bug reports)
is not to add new features where getters/setters have their behavior
altered, or get hooks before/after changes are made, but to let these
methods be populated and called without breaking the compilation process in
surprising ways. AutoBeans already support Categories, a sort of externally
defined method that seems purpose-built to be eventually replaced by
default methods - thats my goal in my own work here, outside the specific
filed issues. I expect other features will be made easier to use too, such
as lambda'd RPC callbacks, safehtmltemplates with logic and loops, and

On the other hand, if we have published documents ready on what APIs will
be available easily for linking, or for generating i18n/locale/device
permutations through the use of external resources or alternate sets of
constants in compiled code, my ground for complaints is limited to merely
pointing out the existing stable code that could be better before it is
ready to be ported. I don't think that this is going to be a hard point to
sell.

---

So: in the spirit of always building better releases: Where does this
argument go wrong? How much better off are we by shedding this weight now,
and what great upgrade paths do we have? Is improving them but also marking
them all as @Deprecated a good compromise? Please poke holes in this so
that we can make GWT 2.8 an enduring release that is still able to be seen
as a powerful tool for Java web developers!

Thanks,
Colin