I agree with Thomas and Daniel that it's good to avoid putting more
"official" work into the generators, and encouraging people to move off.

But I think I agree more with Colin and Jens that, one way or another,
people are using generators today, and will be using them for awhile (e.g.
if they purposefully choose to stay on a GWT 2.8-based lineage), and it
seems unfair to deny them improvements that they themselves want to make to
the generators.

So, if Colin has a few patches waiting in the wings, or if people wander in
with "hey, I made this incremental improvement to a generator", it seems
"un-open source" to say "sorry, you should be doing something else".

I base my opinion mostly on the healthiest open source project I've ever
seen: Apache Spark, where (at least in the early days), the committers were
extremely wiling to accept patches about whatever itch you wanted to
scratch (although still with tests/quality/etc.). (Granted, they were
technically trying to win political points by "having as many contributors
as Hadoop", but even if that was their core goal, the side affect of a
healthy community was pretty nice.)

So, that's my only "post every 6 months" $0.02: if people have itches with
the current generators, let them scratch it. That is what open source is
about, IMO.

- Stephen