I just want to chime in and let you know that in my case migrating away
from GWT Material Design with UiBinder, JSNI and bundle resource in favor
of JSNI and the UI layer with Web Components/Polymer 2.0 took a couple of
months.

There is a growing number of reusable web components
at https://www.webcomponents.org/, with the Vaadin components like the
vaadin-grid worth mentioning.
In the end it made my architecture much better with a clear separation
between the UI layer and the Model/Presenter (business logic) layers in
Java.

See more info in my G+
post: https://plus.google.com/+AndersForsell/posts/NpTm1Ga8eMM

I am now looking forward to the benefits in using J2CL and hope that Google
continues to be open and share their work with the open-source community.

Anders