On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 1:06:40 PM UTC-4, Paul Stockley wrote:

> I have to agree. A long time ago we moved away from GWT RPC to an approach
> that used straight JSON. This forced on us by the poor performance on
> mobile devices. Right away we saw 3 to 5x speed improvement and significant
> code size reduction. Sure the developer experience wasn't quite as nice.
> However we, could hardly measure an actual hit in overall productivity. To
> be honest, our user experience will always take priority over developer UX.

There *is no runtime performance difference* between GWT RPC and JSON if
you do your homework that you were forced to do when you moved to JSON.  It
does not exist. We can confirm that, given same functionality. You can't
compare apples to oranges here.

Yes, there is a difference in compilation time, but for that I entirely
blame the inefficient GWT compiler implementation. It can, actually, be
super fast, *faster* than using *any* other framework for the equivalent
case. How/why? We can talk about that if there are interested parties, in a
proper place. I have exactly the same comment for code size. Yes, that code
size, affects loading time, so it makes things worse. But, again, it
actually can be fixed, and if you did your homework right, it should not
have been an issue unless, again, you are comparing apples to oranges in
terms of functionality.