I didn't mean to be dismissive of your work (sorry if that might have
sounded like this); on the contrary this is valuable work, but IMO more as
an "experimentation" exploring what can be done than a definitive answer to
how is *should* be done now.

On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 8:39:32 PM UTC+2, Ahmad Bawaneh wrote:

> I also one of those who replaced gwt-i18n with my own implementation which
> was a simple dictionary like, that loads the labels and messages at
> runtime, but in my case i didnt need more than plain simple text
> translation without parameters or anything else.
>
> with that said, one of the goals of porting gwt 2 modules is to provide a
> smooth transition for applications that uses gwt into gwt 3.0, this does
> not mean we cant introduce something new or implement things differently,
> but we can have both, while we are porting the old module and ensure a
> smooth transition, we give ourselves a better chance and freedom to
> brainstorm, introduce and discuss new things.
>
> while working on porting i18n module i am trying to break it into smaller
> modules that are more specific to one thing,  so :
> 1- i started by extracting the i18n module from the monolith gwt code, and
> make sure the test cases works.
> 2- i have draft implementation of an APT based constants generator
> https://github.com/vegegoku/gwt-constants-apt

For example, here, you pass the locales as a constant on the annotation,
which is *not* a “non evolutionary porting” then.
This implies that when/if you want to add a new locale, you need to go
through all your constants interfaces to not only add properties files (see
below about that too) but also add the locale to the annotation. I wonder
if we couldn't instead pass an option to the annotation processor (we could
also have the processor load the properties files from the processor path;
in Gradle this would mean that changing a properties file would trigger a
recompile; unfortunately this is impractical at best in Maven). An
alternative would be a generator that's not an annotation processor (no
idea how you'd call it; that idea maybe not worth pursuing as that could be
too cumbersome for users; unless maybe the generator generates intermediate
Java source that's only processed by the annotation processor later and
never actually used at runtime; the goal only being that the input to javac
–maven-compiler-plugin or Gradle JavaCompile task– is only made of Java
source files, for more accurate incremental builds –i.e. correctly trigger
a recompile when needed).

Wrt properties files, current GWT 2.x implementation will look for
properties files for the superinterfaces too up to Localizable; which
provides a way to centralize the values across the entire application. When
adding a new locale, you could then give a single properties file to the
translator, and have a single new properties file to add to your
application (and not one per constants interfaces; but with your proposed
implementation, you'd still have to go through all of them to add the
locale to the annotation).

Ideally, we should also plan our annotation processors so they work great
with Gradle's experimental incremental
compilation:
https://docs.gradle.org/release-candidate/userguide/java_plugin.html#sec:incremental_annotation_processing

3- extracted  CLDR into its own module with no JSNI and JSO, the generator
> is also moved out of the gwt tools into its own module and now works with
> gradle instead of ant.
>
> and i am pretty sure there are many gwt i18n users who will appreciate
> this non evolutionary porting, but also i believe this will give us a
> better ground when we start introducing new things, and for such a large
> module will help us with coordination and get more involved.

I agree that we should aim for maximum backwards compatibility, but there
*will* be breaking changes anyway (if only to replace GWT.create() with
calls to a –generated– static factory).

I'll try to setup a document today with what I have in mind so we can
discuss.